The Maroon Tribune

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Young Players Boost Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Young Players Boost Season

Coached by Sean O’Connor, The Maroon Raiders were led by four captains, senior Jihad Edmond, juniors Hector Lebron and Joel Richardson, and sophomore VeRon Garrison, to a 4-5 record on the season. Younger players were given the chance to step up and lead due to a large graduating class of seniors, many playing on the team. The younger players earned a significant amount of playing time, and became key contributors to the team’s overall strategy.

My goal for next year’s season is to play our hardest and go out with a successful season.”

— VeRon Garrison

Although the team had ups and downs during the 2018-2019 season, the Raiders put in the effort and practice for improvement during the season and know how to play and what to work on to improve now for next year.

“My goal for next year’s season is to play our hardest and go out with a successful season,” said VeRon Garrison, the sophomore captain.

The Raiders competed in a new division, the Super Football Conference, which brought on new opponents. Wins against Cliffside Park, Ridgefield Park, and Eastside added to their record on the season. The team ended the season in the Regional Crossover Round, with an away victory over Bergenfield, giving the younger players another season’s worth of experience, racking onto their overall experience getting them ready for next year.

We wish our current senior players the best of luck after their graduation and thank them for their time and hard work they put into the program.”

— Coach O’Connor

For the 2018 season awards, Jihad Edmond made 2nd Team All County. For defense, Jihad Edmond and Jalen Hoyle made 1st Team All League, and Gerald Cruz, Ryan Fletcher, VeRon Garrison, and Joel Richardson made 2nd Team All League. For offense, Khaleb Hunt and Hector Lebron made 2nd Team All League.

“We wish our current senior players the best of luck after their graduation and thank them for their time and hard work they put into the program. We are also excited for next season to watch our returning players continue to build on the success from this season,” said Coach O’Connor on the future of the program.

The Raiders will enter next season on a mission to win.

Sid Somashekar, Sports Reporter

Sid Somashekar is a sophomore in the Pre-Engineering Academy. He is a second year sports writer for The Maroon Tribune, who has written a few articles...

• Young Players Boost Season

Clubs & Electives

2019 Idol Wins Hearts

• Young Players Boost Season

Clubs & Electives

4328 Placed 16th: DMAE Robotics

• Young Players Boost Season

Clubs & Electives

Heroes Teach Good Choices

• Young Players Boost Season

News

Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

• Young Players Boost Season

Clubs & Electives

Model UN Team Wins at UCONN

• Young Players Boost Season

Clubs & Electives

Red Cross Club Serves DMAE and Community

• Young Players Boost Season

Clubs & Electives

2018 NHS Fall Blood Drive

• Young Players Boost Season

News

Open Houses Spark Interest in Class of 2023

• Young Players Boost Season

News

The Lesson of One and the Inspiration of Many

• Young Players Boost Season

Clubs & Electives

Promoting World Peace

The News Site of DMHS/Academies@Englewood
Young Players Boost Season