The Maroon Tribune

Filed under News, Showcase, Student Life

College Kick-Off for All Students

DMAE held its first College Kick Off event across campus on the week of September 25, 2017. From Monday through Friday, students of all grades were invited to participate in information sessions and conversations with admissions officers, bringing a spotlight to the college endeavor of the 2017-18 school year.

The week was coordinated by all the counselors on campus, under the direction of Kate Drumgoole.

“We need to give our students exposure. College fairs are always great, but the benefit of information sessions is that they are a bit more intimate,” Ms. Drumgoole said. “You can get 40 minutes with a representative rather than standing at a table.”

Monday began with grade level presentations in the auditorium, performances from the concert band and a surprise visit from Bloomfield College’s bear mascot. The assemblies also included games hosted by the new counselors, including a variety of team activities.

“I liked how the counselors introduced themselves,” junior Joshnelly Orbe said. “I think they should have told us more about their goals, but it was nice getting a formal introduction.”

The days following consisted of sessions hosted by 33 different colleges. Students were able to sign up for sessions of their choosing on Naviance. Presentations were held by Columbia, Rutgers, Drexel, NJIT, and many more universities and colleges. These small meetings with admissions officers were one of many changes to past College Fairs.

“We’re trying to build a lot of new programs, which is exciting,” counselor April Malone said. “It’s about getting students more involved,” she added.

Two workshops for seniors looking for information on SAT registration and the NCAA were also held that week.

Additionally, an upcoming Super Instant Decision Day will give some students a chance to have an instant college decision. They will have the chance to meet with college representatives from 14 different institutions, such as Bergen Community College or Kean University, and be accepted on the spot. Application fees are even waived for students who choose an Instant Decision.

Ms. Drumgoole and the rest of the counselors want to have the College Kick-Off as a regular campus tradition for students that continues throughout the year to aid their college process.

Kristin Kweon, Managing Editor

Kristin Kweon, a third year member of the Maroon Tribune, is a senior in the Law and Public Safety Academy and is this year’s Managing Editor. Journalism...

• College Kick-Off for All Students

Clubs & Electives

New Fall Grieco Games and Festival

• College Kick-Off for All Students

Clubs & Electives

Bergen Blowout

• College Kick-Off for All Students

Clubs & Electives

DMAE Teens Lead at Teens Talk About Racism Conference

• College Kick-Off for All Students

Close-Ups

Boys Soccer Makes States

• College Kick-Off for All Students

Clubs & Electives

NJ Devils Get Boost from DMAE Marching Band

• College Kick-Off for All Students

Showcase

Bigger and Better Pep Rally

• College Kick-Off for All Students

News

2018 Senior Internship Expo

• College Kick-Off for All Students

News

Class of ‘22 Induction Night

• College Kick-Off for All Students

Showcase

Senior Prom: Lasting Moment in Time

• College Kick-Off for All Students

Field Trips

Science Meets Nature on Environmental Science Trip

The News Site of DMHS/Academies@Englewood
College Kick-Off for All Students