The Maroon Tribune

Filed under News, Showcase, Student Life

Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Back to Article
Back to Article

Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Talented and enthusiastic DMAE music students performed at the annual Winter Concert on December 19, 2018, in the Dizzy Gillespie Auditorium. Students from music teacher Sandra Meltzer’s guitar, string ensemble, chorus, vocal ensemble, and jazz band classes took turns on stage with their instruments, voices and holiday spirit, and the audience was filled with proud parents and supportive friends.

I had a ton of fun being part of the guitar ensemble! It was incredible experiencing how all of the different sections blended together. I felt like I was something bigger than myself.”

— Lysa Legros

“This is my fourth and last winter concert, bittersweet to say the least, but rewarding nonetheless,” senior Zoe Papiani said. “As music students, we prepare for the winter concert from the very first week of school. To finally see all of our hard work come to life in the concert is so satisfying,” she added.

Students in all of Ms. Meltzer’s classes appreciate her hard work and dedication, and the feelings they experience from being successful performers. This is uniquely true for seniors.

“I had a ton of fun being part of the guitar ensemble! It was incredible experiencing how all of the different sections blended together. I felt like I was something bigger than myself,” senior Lysa Legros stated.

The concert began with the 10-member String Ensemble playing first “Arlington Sketches” and then “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo,” and setting a vibrant tone for the whole evening. Select Vocal performed four songs including “One Voice” with soloist Zoe Papianni drawing much applause. “Silent Night” and “Feliz Navidad” were played by 35 guitarist from three classes including teacher Constance Clark who is also learning from Ms. Meltzer.

“I was grateful to participate in the concert and be part of the positive energy Ms. Meltzer so adeptly creates in classes and on the stage,” Ms. Clark said. “I was nervous, but I really enjoyed playing with the students and supporting Ms. Meltzer’s creative talent,” she added.

Pullquote Photo

I was so proud of how everyone performed at the concert and at the assemblies … I felt all of our musicians brought their very best to each performance.”

— Ms. Meltzer (on the right)

Finally the voices of approximately 50 chorus members filled the auditorium to conclude the concert with five songs including the upbeat South African song of freedom and hope “Singabahambayo,” the moving Christmas song “Mary, Did you Know?” and the traditional finale “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town,” which featured soloist Matthew Gutierrez and teacher Mindy Rochman playing sleigh bells.

The concert also served as an induction ceremony for the Tri-M Honor Society with approximately 29 members in attendance including the new inductees.

I was so proud of how everyone performed at the concert and at the assemblies.  I thought all were absolutely fabulous!” exclaimed Ms.Meltzer with a grin. “The anticipation and excitement were palpable and I felt all of our musicians brought their very best to each performance.  I’m very much looking forward to what the rest of the year will bring!” she added.

Later in the week, the holiday concert was held in school assemblies for all DMAE students to hear and enjoy.

Dekyi Tsotsong, Section Editor and Senior Staff Reporter

Dekyi Tsotsong, a second year member of The Maroon Tribune, is a junior in the Law and Public Safety Academy at the [email protected] She is the Vice-President...

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Clubs & Electives

2019 Idol Wins Hearts

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Clubs & Electives

4328 Placed 16th: DMAE Robotics

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Clubs & Electives

Heroes Teach Good Choices

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Clubs & Electives

Model UN Team Wins at UCONN

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Clubs & Electives

Red Cross Club Serves DMAE and Community

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Clubs & Electives

2018 NHS Fall Blood Drive

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

News

Open Houses Spark Interest in Class of 2023

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

News

The Lesson of One and the Inspiration of Many

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Showcase

Young Players Boost Season

• Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert

Clubs & Electives

Promoting World Peace

The News Site of DMHS/Academies@Englewood
Talent and Joy at DMAE Winter Concert